Schatz Clock

Schatz Clock Models and History

Schatz Royal Mariner

Schatz Royal Marine with External Bell

Schatz Royal Marine with External Bell

The Schatz Royal Mariner has the unique property of being a ship's bell clock. Ships bell clock rang the bells for each half-hour of a ships watch and ships watches normally ran for 4 hours.

The model at left has an external bell. There are other models that were framed in a spoked ships wheel and had an internal bell.

These are still being made today by Nauticalia. If you want the old-style mechanical movement then make sure you get a Royal Mariner rather than the battery operated, quartz movement,  Ocean Mariner.

I've also seen a thin wall clock version but it has none of the charm of the ships clocks of old.

Here is a video of the ships wheel version of the clock ringing 7 and 8 bells.

SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK BRASS Beveled Glass
SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK BRASS Beveled Glass $199.95
Time Remaining: 2d 18h 39m
Buy It Now for only: $259.99
SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK 5 INCH CIRCA1966 NICKEL PLATED RESTORED
SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK 5 INCH CIRCA1966 NICKEL PLATED RESTORED $417.00
Time Remaining: 9d 8h 1m
Buy It Now for only: $417.00
VINTAGE SHIPS CLOCK GERMANY SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER 8 DAY GOOD WORKING
VINTAGE SHIPS CLOCK GERMANY SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER  8 DAY GOOD WORKING $249.00
Time Remaining: 10d 7h 56m
Buy It Now for only: $249.00
VINTAGE SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK WITH KEY EXCELLENT CONDITION
VINTAGE SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL CLOCK WITH KEY EXCELLENT CONDITION $333.99
Time Remaining: 18d 19h 35m
Buy It Now for only: $333.99
SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL or 1000 DAY CLOCK KEY service repair parts
SCHATZ ROYAL MARINER SHIPS BELL or 1000 DAY CLOCK KEY service repair parts $21.99
Time Remaining: 19d 22h
Buy It Now for only: $21.99
Vintage Schatz Royal Mariner Ships Bell Clock 8 Day Jeweled With Key Nice
Vintage Schatz Royal Mariner Ships Bell Clock 8 Day Jeweled With Key Nice $199.99
Time Remaining: 22d 13h 45m
Buy It Now for only: $199.99

Tags: , , ,

Tue, August 5 2008 » Schatz Clock Models

30 Responses

1. Roger Grevengoed August 9 2008 @ 4:24 pm

I have a Schatz wall clock which was given to me in the late 60′s. It says the model is an “Elexacta -P.

I have had it to a few jewelers, but have not found one that can fix it. Could you please advise me where I could get it fixed and what the value of it might be.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. The easiest way to contact me would be at “rgrevengoed@verizon.net”

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Roger Levett December 5 2009 @ 3:56 pm

We have a Royal Mariner clock and want to know how to adjust its speed, the protocol for winding it, etc. We don’t have the instructions. Thanks!

Rose for Roger Levett

3. Roger Levett December 5 2009 @ 3:56 pm

Is there a manual on line.

4. joe lisko June 8 2010 @ 6:13 pm

we purchased in bermuda a schatz triple chime mantel clock that plays westminster, st michaels and wittingten. needs to be repaired can u help.
    joe lisko
    105 braddock ave
    somers point nj 08244
    tel 1610633 0365

5. casey shamet October 13 2010 @ 12:17 pm

WE have a Schatz Mariner Clock, That stopped chiming beacause I wound it incorrectly. Is there a way that you can help?

6. Marshall J Fugate November 16 2010 @ 6:36 am

Sir I have the quartz version of the royal mariner ships clock in for repair. I need to find a new movement for it. I understand it’s name is ocean mariner. Can you direct me where to find this movement.

7. Leonardo Abad December 23 2010 @ 8:12 am

I’ ve a Quartz Royal Mariner ships Clock that isn’t working properly.
    I think clock’s movement should be replaced.
    So, could you tell me where I can find a new movement for my clock?

8. Al Gale December 26 2010 @ 1:42 pm

9. edgar January 5 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Where can I find the answers to these questions? Specifically, is there a free online manual I can download? Where can I order parts – the locking screw that holds the face cover tight is missing and I need another one. I have a Schatz 1881 Royal Mariner clock. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

10. Johan van Leeuwen February 24 2011 @ 7:18 am

Ben in bezit van Schatz klok die de kwartieren aanslaat maar doet het niet .wie kan mij helpen? loopt op een batterij.

11. john l gower March 7 2011 @ 10:01 pm

i need a new 84mm glass for a barometer?can i buy one?

12. pat forster March 29 2011 @ 11:04 am

i have vintage schatz royal mariner 8 day ships bell clock.
    the bell is on the outside and it has 2 strikers i need to knoe the value

13. M Doyle September 4 2011 @ 3:11 pm

The clock in the video needs to be repaired. It chimes 7 bells at 1:30 and 8 bells at 2. The proper sequence is as follows (time/chimes): 12/8, 12:30/1, 1/2, 1:30/3, 2/4, 2:30/5, etc until you reach 4 with 8 bells. The sequence repeats three times through a twelve hour cycle with eight bells chiming at 4, 8, and 12.

14. Grace September 5 2011 @ 10:56 am

I need a key for a royal mariner clock-any ideas?

15. M Doyle September 15 2011 @ 2:53 am

Hellooooo? Ask any navy man. Is this site even alive anymore? I have an early sixties 8-day mariner w/ ship’s helm and the roman numeral four is designated by “IIII”. Its awesome. It used to chime like this (after hitting the floor): ding clunk, ding clunk. After a one day stay with the 1st guy who knew his business over the phone, good as new. These are “timeless” clocks. . . Works of art. I don’t have many family heirlooms; but, for more reasons than I care to share, I will pass this piece down to my daughter along with my name and my ashes.

16. Coolyus September 23 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I need a ship bell movement to fit the Ship Bell Clock with Outside Bell. The clock I have has a quartz movement.
    What is the model number I need?

17. Joseph Superfine December 16 2011 @ 9:32 pm

I own a Shatz Royal Mariner with the outside bell. Where can I find a manual or instructions about the movement?
    Joe (adelejoe5@gmail.com)

18. John Carlson March 15 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Just bought a new Royal Mariner 8 Bell clock, but the bells are so low I cannot hear them.

19. Chris Marlow April 22 2012 @ 2:06 pm

I’ve got a Royal Mariner, has an inside bell. It sounds 8 bells at 1-5-9
    Rather than the proper, 1-4-8, how do I correct that?

20. Michael Watson June 11 2012 @ 4:00 am

I have a Royal Mariner, but I lost the key in a recent move. Can you tell me where I can get a replacement?

Thank you.

Michael Watson

21. Joyce June 20 2012 @ 7:33 am

I have a Schatz “boat clock.” It hangs by a rope, which goes around the face of the clock. It winds with a key and it in working order. I haven’t been able to find another one like it anywhere and just wondered if anyone might have some information about it. Thank you! Joyce Ogg

22. Peter Ashton August 5 2012 @ 2:31 am

I too – like John Carlson who left a comment on 15th March 2012- have bought a Ship’s Bell porthole clock with a second hand and the bell on mine cannot be heard further than six feet away – how can this level beincreased please? The clock was bought from Nauticalia in December 2011. My first clock bought in September 2008 stopped working altogether in November 2011, and apparently is irreparable – is this true? A waste of £200 seemingly. Any suggestions – sensible – will be appreciated. Thank you Peter Ashton

23. Klammer Adi August 6 2012 @ 6:38 am

Sir, I have a quarz version (U.T.S. Quartz, made in Germany)for repair.
    Wenn schon in Deutschland hergestellt verstehen Sie sicher auch deutsch. Kann man sie reparieren und wann ja wo wenn man in der Schweiz wohnt?
    Danke,
    A. Klammer
    Käserenrain 5
    9406 Rorschacherberg
    Schweiz

24. tomasmac December 17 2012 @ 12:36 pm

I have a royal mariner vintage 1972 and the bells do not strike the correct amount. They are one hour out of sync. Is there a procedure that I can do to correct this problem

25. Richard August 5 2013 @ 6:34 pm

Hello.

PLEASE do advise as to which wind up hole is for CLOCK or CHIME……..LEFT or RIGHT??.
    Richard.

26. Joe Martin August 13 2013 @ 10:55 am

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with my Schatz Royal Mariner. One hour out of sync. Being a naval officer, I have guests who notice!

27. Krista December 16 2013 @ 5:58 pm

I have instructions for Schatz Ships Bell Clock that has a step (B) that may apply to the ‘chime on the wrong hour’ issue. Here is a transcription:
    A. Set the hands to the correct time by turning the minute hand (longest one) forwards (clockwise) or backwards (anti-clockwise). The chimes will automatically adjust themselves.
    B. Do not touch the hour hand as it moves automatically when the minute hand is turned. Should the hour hand accidentally be moved, then the clock cannot strike the correct hour. To rectify, push the hour hand to the hour the clock has just struck, and then reset to correct time by method described under step A.

Hope this helps.

28. JOHAN VAN OOSTRUM January 4 2014 @ 11:15 am

hallo ik ben in het bezit van 2 schatz scheeps
    klokken een van 1975 en een van later datum ik denk 1090 met een iets kleinder uurwerk van beiden is het escapement stuk waar kan nieuwe kopen af de oude laten maken vr. groeten
    Johan van Oostrum

29. Bengt Jonsson January 10 2014 @ 6:12 am

The very heart in my Royal Mariner does not function. The axes of one wheel are broken or have worn out. Could you please inform me who is your agent in Sweden.

Looking forward to hearing from you within short.

Regards/Bengt

30. chris wray March 9 2014 @ 10:49 am

Hi Joe, I had the same problem with mine. Very gently move the hour hand of the clock and all will be well.